Wednesday, May 28, 2008

To every thing, turn, turn, turn...

Ah, the winds of change are blowing. The tide cannot be stopped. The mercury is rising. And my phone is, dare I say it... ready to pass into silicon heaven. That's right, after four years, thousands of conversations, several disassemble/reassemble attempts, and two laundry cycles... my phone is hacking it's way through the final moments of existence.


Time to buy a new phone.


Now, buying a new phone is not something I take lightly. I don't do it very often. In fact, I've only ever had two cell phones in my life. Of course, I believe that using a phone from 2004... is roughly equivalent to having bought your television in the Eisenhower administration.


Sniff. I loved that old RCA.




Now, one of the reasons I selected this phone in 2004 was that it could connect with your computer, backing up data, synchronizing schedules... believe me, this was quite the ticket back in the day. It came in handy, because, I must say, four years and two laundry cycles tends to blank out some memory.

So as I was entering in some phone numbers - into the new phone, mind you - from the computer backup, I got a glimpse into exactly how long I've had the phone.

* Total phone calls: way too many.
* Total text messages sent: wait, this phone can't send text messages
* Total phone calls, speakerphone: they have speakerphones on cell phones?
* My home address: Virginia Beach, VA
* My Mother's work phone number: 412-***-0470.
* Random phone listing: some girl named Jessica



So, the new phone I've bought?




Motorola Razor V9m. Yes, I know Motorola spells it Razr. My blog, my rules; I will not kow-tow to Motorola's marketing department.

Why?

* It's thin. It fits in my pocket without me realizing it's there.
* You can record your own ringtones. What will those wacky telephone designers think of next... being able to use pre-recorded MP3's for ringtones?!
* You can assign a ringtone to certain users. What a concept.

So far, I'm using the second and third for an added benefit - I recorded 'nothing' and assigned it to anyone not in my contact list, and set the phone to vibrate + music.

Bwah ha ha. Try to get in touch with me *now*, people I don't know.


As an aside... both times I bought a phone in the past was immediately prior to me moving. Is this a harbinger of things to come?


Dah da da...

No comments: