Saturday, May 17, 2008

Tour of Kensington Valley

At least, it used to be a Tour, this year it was just a Road Race.

I felt really strong today. We were on the second lap of a nine-lap affair, and someone got a gap off the front... I bridged up, and we started pacelining. Unfortunately we were caught after about another lap or so.

My shifter cable broke; I was limited to my 36 tooth chainring; and as such couldn't push more than about 30 MPH, which hurt me on the downhills and sprints.

Then, another breakaway started... I was bridging up, and twenty yards or so ahead of me, another team pushed their man up to the break. Of course this is completely illegal; so instead of bridging, I attempted to pull the pack up to the breakaway - for once in my life, I wanted the breakaway to fail. Of course, 'attempted' was the operative word in that sentence, and I failed - but at least it was a very slow failure. Or something like that.

Of course I couldn't sprint well with the 36 tooth chainring, and ended up 'placing' eighteenth out of fifty.

Oh well. Next week: Frankenmuth.


Stats:

Duration: 2:35:01
Work: 2117 kJ
TSS: 239.8 (intensity factor 0.963)
Norm Power: 279
VI: 1.23
Distance: 58.294 mi
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 1002 228 watts
Cadence: 29 141 87 rpm
Speed: 8 44.1 22.6 mph
Pace 1:22 7:33 2:40 min/mi
Hub Torque: 0 376 75 lb-in
Crank Torque: 0 1253 227 lb-in

2 comments:

Doug said...

I had to swap my front wheel just before the race, it was making a sound like the bearing went on it, so I thought I had better change it just in case. But, not as bad as not being able to use the big ring, there went half your power.

quadrature said...

It wasn't *that* bad, Doug. Just the downhills and sprints were rough.