Sunday, August 26, 2007

Dairy Queen

One of the best cycling quotes of all time... but first, a little background. For those who don't follow professional cycling; the European tours are three-week-long events of up to seven hours per day of grueling work on the bike.

That's a lot of time to sit and think. So, a couple of decades ago, a question was posed to Greg Lemond: what do you think about during those long races? Instead of cycling strategy, or the stunning mountaintop vistas, Greg answered:

"Dairy Queen. God, I dream of Dairy Queen."

Let me tell you, I can relate. After burning thousands of calories on the bike, the slightest hint of food makes you ravenous.

...which brings me to today. It was supposed to be a 30-40 mile day. My mileage-limit without needed to eat more is around 50 miles or so, so no problem, right? Since my regular route was flooded, I decided to try to get to Grosse Ile, which had been recommended to me. In fact, it was actually gorgeous, on a gorgeous day, and I missed some stunning pictures of an Egret perched on a twisted stump in the river, but I digress.

Coming home from said detour... what can I say, I missed my turn. I ended up going through the Mexican-town part of Detroit; not a good idea after burning 2000 calories on a two-hour bike ride. Those restaurants sure smelled good.

"Chimichangas. God, I dream of Chimichangas."

Totals for the day:

Miles: 49
Calories burned: 2000
Chimichangas consumed: None. I'm in a serious deficit here.


No comments: