Sunday, February 24, 2008

Day 6, Part 1. Ghost Town.

After the trying day before, I went to bed at about 7:00 local time. And got up at 3:00.

Hmm.

What to do? I had intended to just get up and start driving, but now I had time for one more thing.

I wanted to see a ghost town. And what could be more ideal than seeing one in the dead of night?

I decided to drive the hour or so to Rhyolite. In the early part of the last century, it was a boom town, with 10,000 people, 50 saloons, 2 churches (that's a 25:1 ratio, people!), 2 undertakers... banks, stores, all that.

And getting there at night, I'd be able to crawl over the ruins without the admonishment of park officials.



Or so I thought. Barbed wire. Drat, foiled by the National Park Service yet again. No matter.

I drove around a bit. Most of the buildings were gone. I didn't even see squatting prospectors - or even the Brady Bunch. All in all it was a bunch of crumbling buildings.

No comments: